Monday, August 10, 2009

Wikis #13-14

I thought this was a very interesting exercise. I have not created a wiki but I've considered it for some work related information. This gave me a good understanding about what a wiki would work well for. I liked the explanation that wikis are about trust and collaboration and that wikis really belong to the community that uses them. That makes them very useful for many purposes but probably not for what I had in mind, which is getting information out to our students. That process doesn't require collaboration.

I can see many ways that wikis could work in libraries and I know that there are many in the UMass Library, including subject guide wikis and procedure manual wikis. I was especially interested in the Library best practices wiki. It's nice for librarians (and any other group) to be able to share this kind of information so each institution doesn't have to start from scratch. I'm sure there is always a good idea or a new way of looking at an old question that all can benefit from.

No comments:

Post a Comment