Tuesday, August 25, 2009

#19 E-Books

I explored the World Ebook Fair site to learn more about e-books. I thought the site was a little hard to use. It's not clear from the front page how to find information. Also, all the tabs are on the left side and it's really hard to read them.

I was impressed by the sheer number of titles that they offered. The total was more than 2 million titles. They had an incredible variety ranging from Census Documents, the CIA Electronic Reading Room, Classic Literature (10,000 titles alone), the United Nations Library, Sheet Music Library and even Open Source Books contributed by the community (30,000 titles).

I imagine that this is a valuable web site for anyone doing research. There are some unusual government publications here that might be of interest. I didn't think it was organized in a vry helpful fashion though. It seemed to be hard to search. The categories were so unusual, (for example, Islamic Ebooks collection) it could be overwhelming to find what you need.

Another site I looked at was called "The Daily Lit". This site delivers 3-5 minute excerpts of a book to email each day until the book is done. You can get another segment at the push of a button. This is an interesting idea. I don't think it would work for me, though. I can't imagine reading a book in 3-5 minute increments. I hate to put a book down after reading at lunch. When I'm home, I read for at least 45 minutes at a stretch. However, any kind of reading is good and if 3-5 minutes a day gets someone interested in reading, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment