Tuesday, August 25, 2009

#21 Microblogging and mashups

I looked into Twittervision, which shows you were Twitter posts are coming from as they are posted. That was fascinating! I watched the map for about 15 minutes and say tweets from France, England, South Aftica, Iran, Germany, Brazil, Finland, Canada, Mexico, Australia, the Caribbean Islands, India, Paraguay and Saudi Arabia. They were also in several languages. The tweets themselves were mostly silly. One person in England showed a picture of a carrot he dug up that had become entwined. Someone in South Africa commented on how unfair it is that the word "lisp" has an "s". It's hardly groundbreaking information. I'm sure that many people write anything just to get the latest spot and see that little bird over their city. I did think the speed and distance of the tweets was really interesting. It's becoming a very small world and twitter is truly a global adventure.

The other site I looked at was FollowFamous, which as a list of celebrity tweeters. I can see why that was interesting for the celebrity and the follower. The follower gets to feel that they're really talking to and know the celebrity. The celebrity gets to put out the information they choose and control it. I looked at Ashley Tisdale's tweets. She was able to put out quick information about her new single, a concert in Las Vegas and what she ate for breakfast. Even though some of it seems like too much information for me, I can see the appeal and I imagine it gets very addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment