Wednesday, August 26, 2009

#23 Congratulations

This has been a really interesting course. It's been quite a long time since I've taken a class of any kind and this one contained information that was totally new to me. It was good to remind myself that I like to learn. I also haven't taken on line classes before so that was a new experience for me and I enjoyed it.

I think the only week that I didn't enjoy was the Flickr assignment and that's only because I'm not all that interested in photography. I found a few things that were useful to me such as RSS feeds and the google calendar information. I was surprised that the assignment I most enjoyed was the Twitter work. I tend to think that Twitter is a silly idea for people with a lot of time on their hands. However, I was fascinated by the program that showed you where the latest tweets were coming from. In just a few minutes I saw the little bird go over at least 15 countries and in several languages. That's a very powerful tool to bring people together.

This program gave me the results I wanted. I have a basic familiarity with these program and how they work. I don't need to use them in a work setting, but I hear the names used all the time. Now, I feel I know what the discussions are about and can form an opinion about their usefulness.

My only suggestion for the program is to remember that there are non librarians who work in libraries. At UMass about 1/2 of the people doing this program were not professional librarians. It would be good to have some exercises that would help us. In the early weeks, it was geared more for a professional.

I think it was a good use of my time and I'd be interested in other on line courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment